Tips for SEO Content Writers
5 Important SEO Points to Cover in a Content Campaign
Author: Abi Cool
The need for online visibility is of utmost importance in digital marketing. Of what use is a website if no one is aware of it or there are no visitors to feed off its content? This is the reason why Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a valid tool; in the simplest terms, it prepares the pages of your website so that they can be visible enough through high rankings among search engine results.
In SEO, a website analysis gives you proper understanding of the areas where there are errors. Some of these analyses require analytics tools such as MozBar, SEMRush or Google Analytics.
Here are some points you should tick on your list to ensure that the content of your website meets the appropriate SEO criteria.
1. Page Titles
Page titles indicate the topic of your webpage to both visitors and search engines. Your page titles should be optimized for search results. When a page is open, these titles appear on the tab of browsers. There appear as clickable titles on search engine results page (SERP).
Some content management systems like WordPress provide forms so that when creating new pages, you can automatically set title tags around the page titles on your website. Be careful not to make mistakes that are related with title tags.
- Keep your titles at a moderate length; 55 to 60 characters would work fine.
- Ensure that the title excellently portrays the content of your webpage.
- Keep it simple.
- Ensure that titles carry target keywords.
2. Internal Links
Links and content happen to be driving factors behind search rankings. Internal links are those on your site that direct others to another website.
External links have a huge role to play, however, internal links are important too as they help search engines recognize other valuable pages to a search query. Therefore ensure that internal links direct visitors to a website with quality content.
Check to see that internal links are not broken; this could affect SEO negatively. Utilize anchor texts, include links in the copy and use footer linking to key pages.
3. Meta Description
Meta descriptions are an important part of online marketing through SEO. They are those sentences that appear under the link to a website on search results. Since they are visible on search results, they have the ability to influence the click through rates of your page.
Use a description that communicates your unique selling point, offering a compelling message that suggests why your page should be visited. Consider the following;
- Include your keyword in your Meta Description.
- Ensure that the description matches the content of your page.
- Keep them about 140-150 characters long.
- You can also use some tools to check your Meta Descriptions. Tools like SEMrush and Portent can be useful.
If you have worked towards a content-led campaign, images would most likely be part of your game. It is important to optimize them so that they do not slow down your webpage. Slow loading pages could keep visitors from returning to your page or sharing the link to your website.
If you are using infographics, some text would be involved. The following tips can help you optimize images for SEO;
- Name images in a descriptive but plain language.
- Choose image dimensions wisely.
- Compress images where necessary. Large images may slow down your page.
- Alt attributes are texts that appear in place of an image when they do not render properly. This can help your SEO ranking. Optimize your alt attributes by including keywords that describe the image. This way, your images can also pop up in the image section of search results.
- Consider a standard HTML page that supports images and icons.
5. Canonical Tags
Canonical tags indicate to search engines that the master copy of a page is represented by a specific URL. Canonical tags help to ward off problems that might arise due to identical and duplicate content.
When search engines crawl pages that have identical URLs, some SEO issues might occur. This could affect SEO ranking negatively. While duplicate content can be tricky, there are few tips around this.
- On ecommerce and CMS-driven sites, ensure that you spot-check your canonical tags. This is because some code errors may cause a site to write different canonical tags for every version of the URL.
- Be careful when using canonical tags on near-duplicates.
Your SEO game is important to your online visibility and a successful digital marketing strategy. Always ensure that you frequently carry out a website analysis to enable you implement the best SEO practices on your website.
About The Author
Abi Cool is the Director of Search at Marketing Wind – (Miami SEO Company) and is an experienced SEO Outreach expert and advertisement specialist. His interests lie in Digital Marketing Management. He is an internet marketing enthusiast and his specialty is in search engine optimization outreach and content marketing.